With the NGWA Groundwater Expo as a backdrop, Nidec Motor Corporation, the leader in vertical motors, announced a new line of vertical extra high thrust motors today.
The new Extra High Thrust Inverter Duty Vertical HOLLOSHAFT® Motor, joins Nidec’s U.S. MOTORS® brand family, which provides more NEMA Premium® vertical motors to the agriculture/irrigation industry than any other manufacturer in the world.
“Nidec Motor Corporation continues to be first movers when it comes to anticipating and meeting the needs of our end users in the agriculture industry,” says Tim Albers, Director of Product Management and OEM Marketing, Nidec Motor Corporation. “Because farmers are having to drill deeper for access to water for their crops, it’s critical that pump motors provide more horsepower and higher thrust loads imposed by the increased weight of the water column.” Thrust on the new motor is rated at 175% of the current high-thrust motor.
In addition to meeting NEMA MG-1 Part 31 specifications, the motor offers additional features to protect against stress that the NEMA specs do not address, including:
- Insulated motor bearings that minimize bearing fluting caused by VFD induced motor shaft currents
- Motor shaft grounding rings that protect motor and pump bearings by shunting VFD-induced shaft current to ground
- Motor winding thermostats that add protection against damage caused by VFD induced overheating, critical when irrigating crops on extremely hot days
- Premium-efficient rotors with special balance and low-loss lamination steel that contribute to lower operating temperatures, in addition to reducing the cost of operation
- Space heaters that reduce condensation which can lead to motor winding failures and lubricant contamination
The new motor is currently available from stock in the 100 to 350 HP range. For more information, please visit www.nidec-motor.com.