Contributor: John Crane
John Crane finalized the purchase of Advanced Diamond Technologies (ADT), Industrial Division. ADT is a leader in the development and application of diamond films for industrial, electronic, mechanical and medical applications.
ADT has unrivaled expertise in a proprietary family of materials that capture the properties of natural diamond. Broadly referred to as ultrananocrystalline diamond (UNCD®) technology, this product is a diamond material grown through a patented chemical vapor deposition process.
Diamonds have long been admired for their brilliance and strength. Although manufactured diamonds have been used for decades in cutting tools and abrasive applications, the difficulty of the manufacturing process to integrate real diamonds with other materials has resulted in the reduction of uptick to provide a consistent, reliable process that supports the production capabilities for our customers.
We recognize the advantages of using one of the Earth’s hardest materials to improve mechanical seal reliability and performance in difficult applications involving poor lubricating fluids, liquids above their atmospheric boiling point and abrasive slurries. The technology’s extreme wear capabilities of diamonds enable treated seals to handle abrasive or erosive conditions more easily. In addition, UNCD has a low coefficient of friction which results in lower heat generation and energy consumption. For our customers, this means a significant increase in the mean time between failures when applied to mechanical seals, pumps and other industrial products.
ADT UNCD Improving the performance of rotating equipment
UNCD-enhanced industrial components bring the chemical and structural properties of diamond to mechanical seals and hydrodynamic bearings used for rotary equipment, such as pumps and mixers. These properties enable equipment to achieve results that conventional alternatives cannot, enabling efficient and effective operation in even the harshest of application conditions.
UNCD for Industrial Applications
UNCD has demonstrated its value in critical field applications:
- More than 40,000 UNCD-coated components have been used in operations on six continents
- Many industry-leading manufacturers are specifying UNCD coatings for high wear applications worldwide
- A wide variety of industries, including oil & gas, chemical, water treatment, power, and mining have adopted UNCD as a preferred solution for critical applications
Solving Challenges for Mission-Critical Rotating Industrial Equipment:
- Experience longer life in dry-running and low-lubricity conditions
- Improve the performance of mechanical pumps and mixer seals
- Address dry-running and abrasive wear of pumps and seals
- Improve operational reliability and equipment uptime
- Reduce wear in abrasive and slurry applications