Air Movement and Control Association (AMCA) International Inc. announces the revision of AMCA Publication 211, Certified Ratings Program Product Rating Manual for Fan Air Performance.
Designated AMCA Publication 211-13 (Rev. 10-18), the newly revised manual prescribes technical procedures to be used in connection with the AMCA Certified Ratings Program (CRP) for fan air performance. Changes and additions to the document include:
- Harmonization of the certification of large-diameter ceiling fans with U.S. Department of Energy requirements, including that the calculation of performance be based on a minimum of two samples tested for each model certified.
- The requirement that product lines be tested and certified using the test method for the fan type certified—for example, to be certified as a jet fan, a product must be tested as a jet fan. Impacts of this change include:
- To obtain a new jet-fan CRP seal, a fan must be tested in accordance with ANSI/AMCA Standard 250, Laboratory Methods of Testing Jet Tunnel Fans for Performance.
- Manufacturers of certified axial fans currently sold as jet fans will have three years from approval of this program to retest and re-catalog their product if they wish the product to remain a certified jet fan.
- The addition of a new metric for fan efficiency: fan energy index (FEI). It is anticipated FEI will be adopted into building codes. To support FEI, AMCA Publication 211-13 (Rev. 10-18) includes:
- Labeling requirements for FEI certification.
- A description of how to interpolate wire-to-air efficiency.
- How to determine electrical input power when unregulated motors and controllers are used.
- Check-test tolerances for fans tested wire-to-air.
- The addition of sections on alternate methods of determining performance ratings and electric input/efficiency ratings. The alternate methods are verifiable using additional pre-certification tests.
AMCA Publication 211-13 (Rev. 10-18) is available for download at no cost and for purchase in printed form ($7.50 for AMCA members, $15 for non-members) in AMCA’s online store.
About AMCA International
Air Movement and Control Association (AMCA) International Inc. is a not-for-profit association of manufacturers of fans, dampers, louvers, air curtains, and other air-system components for commercial HVAC, industrial-process, and power-generation applications. With programs such as certified ratings, laboratory accreditation, verification of compliance, and international standards development, the association’s mission is to advance the knowledge of air systems and uphold industry integrity on behalf of AMCA members worldwide. For more information about AMCA, visit www.amca.org.