Pump design has a significant impact on overall value, from features and configurations to costs, materials and operating parameters. Pump manufacturers can increase customer value while also cutting costs and speeding up time to market. Design to Value processes give companies the opportunity to trigger innovation in existing product portfolios.
Some pump manufacturers are adopting enhanced product development processes based on Design to Value principles. The goals of these programs are to:
• Enhance product performance based on direct customer input
• Utilize best practices to address customer needs and pain points
• Standardize designs to encourage modularity and reduce complexity and design variants
• Increase use of commercial components and standardize parts across product lines
• Pre-engineer bills of materials and component designs for both make-to-order and assemble-to-order products
• Optimize product value with a focus on fit-for-purpose materials of construction