Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content

Mongolia Pressure Management

Mongolia Pressure Management

Mongolia Pressure Management

By: Cla-Val

Climate Change and rapid urbanization are threatening fragile water resources in Mongolia where more than half the inhabitants have no access to clean water (quote from Mongolia Water Authority and UNEP).

Mongolia Pressure ManagementAll surface water in Mongolia is covered by ice for up to six months of the year so groundwater is the primary source of water for major urban areas and it’s expected that climate change will affect these resources throughout the country in the coming years.

These effects have been compounded by rapid urbanization reducing the availability of water for both domestic and industrial use. The population has grown from 896000 in 2005 to a projected 1.7million by 2030. This situation is particularly serious in the capital city of Ulaanbaatar where nearly 40% of the population resides.

Globally Mongolia is one of the 60 countries with limited water resources, total water consumption is approximately 540 million m3 per year and over 80% is consumed by the industrial and agricultural sectors leaving 20% for domestic use and if the status sectors leaving 20% for domestic use and if the status quo continues the country will not be able to provide sustainable water resources for its population. In Ulaanbaatar, the daily consumption is only about 5-10 liters per capita per day and very few are connected to the cities water distribution network.

Currently, water is being withdrawn faster than the rate of discharge in the city where groundwater tables have shown a marked decline in the past 50 years. The temperature increase in the last 20 years has been 2.14 Celsius and the dry desert area has increased by 21% in the last 20 years. Changes to dry and harsh winters and hot dry summers are reducing river flows and groundwater tables.

UNEP (United Nations Environmental Programme) identified increased investment and rehabilitation of existing water supply networks as a key component of improving the management of water supply utilities.

In 2017 a major rehabilitation of Ulanbataars Water supply was instigated and critical to that was the application of Cla-Vals range of Automatic Control valves.

Model 340 series Rate of Flow Control valves from 150mm thru 500mm and 360-02 series pressure control valves from 200mm thru 400mm were installed into the Network to able remote control of both Flows and Pressures across the network.

Mongolia Pressure ManagementTen existing 25-year-old Cla-Val 90 series valves were fitted with the latest generation of Cla-Vals 34 series actuated pilot controls and 117 series of position transmitters to enable these long-serving valves to be upgraded to the latest technology.

The application of the flow control valves enabled the city to obtain much more even distribution of flow throughout the network and of the CRDHS 34 actuated pilot allowed them to alter the flow set points particularly during times of high demand such as spring festival.

Control of pressure dramatically reduced NRW and line break frequency and again use of the CRD34 pilots allowed the city the ability to manipulate the pressure at times of high demand. As well as this latest technology the city forwards to another 25 years of trouble-free performance from their Cla-Val Automatic Control Valves.

Related Articles

Cla-val Managing Calm Networks

Managing Calm Networks

As well as being the home to country music in Australia, Tamworth is also home to the latest installation of…

Related Whitepapers

10 Tips To Improve Operations Of A Salt Water Disposal Pump

In the oil and gas industry, a large amount of salt water is collected during the process of oil production. In Texas, for example, the…

Cavitation Guide

Cla-Val has the technical resources you need to design and operate a fluid handling system that is both efficient and reliable. You can visit a…

Managing Aging Plants, Equipment & Infrastructure

Solving your challenges with proven solutions Chesterton is a full-solution provider for water treatment/wastewater plants and systems that are seeking to increase equipment reliability and…

Reliable Pumps for High-pressure Cleaning with Superior Handling of Abrasives and Particulates

Compact, Seal-less Pumps for Reliable Operation and Long Service Life With more than 40 years of experience serving many different industries, including major global companies,…


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign up for our Newsletter!

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Empowering Pumps & Equipment, 2205-C 7th Street, Tuscaloosa, AL, 35401, You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact