A two-stage vertical turbine booster pump seal failed within 2-3 days. The seal was changed out, and again it failed within the same 2 – 3 day time period. Clearly there was a problem, but no one knew why, and it was impossible to ‘see inside’ the seal to determine the root cause of the problem.
- AW Chesterton Connect™ sensor was installed to monitor the process conditions causing premature seal failure. With the Chesterton Connect app, the user was able to chart the process pressure (decreasing) and temperature (increasing) while the pump was operating.
- Because of the Chesterton Connect data, critical operating changes were identified and the seal failure problem was fixed.
Reliability was achieved and the plant saved thousands with a very small investment.
- Averted downtime and lost production
- Avoided fixing the same problem over and over
- Reduced stocking need of spare seals
- Continuous monitoring helps identify changes over time and ward off future problems