Provide effective sealing for a critical valve (Condenser Block Valve), which was leaking in the containment area.
- This is a radiated space that is highly critical for plant operation and can cause plant shut downs costing millions of dollars per day
- This is also the “hot” side of the plant where personnel must restrict their time exposure to radiation
Working with the plant engineers, Chesterton supplied its Valve Sealing System (VSS) to solve this problem quickly:
- Measured and installed the VSS in 18 hours
- The packing set consisted of 4 rings of Chesterton 5300 GTPI, a die-formed inhibited graphite packing, and 2 end rings of Style ONE™
- The Chesterton 5100 carbon bushing was cut to length during installation
Time & Cost Efficiencies; Renewed Safety
- Customer was able to install and return to service on-time — saving thousands in productivity!
- Chesterton packing system is leak-free. In the containment area, the valve will not be operated for 18 months unless an issue arises. (These valves only function when there is an issue)
- Employee safety was maintained