- This event has passed.
Pump and Mechanical Seal Principles
October 30 @ 8:00 am - November 1 @ 5:00 pm
This course provides the participants with the knowledge and skills needed to understand the basics of pumps, pumping systems and mechanical seals. The course curriculum is centered on centrifugal pumps and the mechanical seals that they utilize in common industrial applications.
Basic pump and mechanical seal composition and operation are discussed in the classroom, and then reinforced in the laboratories using actual pumps equipped with instruments to indicate flow, pressure, temperature, and power consumption. The pumps are operated by the students themselves. 65% classroom, 35% labs.
Specific topics include:
- Pump designs
- Basic pump system hydraulics
- Centrifugal pump performance curves
- NPSH and cavitation issues
- Types of centrifugal pumps
- Pump impeller design
- Mechanical seal basics
- Seal chamber designs
- Mechanical seal materials of construction
- Seal installation procedures
- Mechanical seal piping plans
- Common seal support systems
Engineers; individuals involved in pump sales and service, and experienced plant maintenance and operational personnel that have a desire to improve their understanding of pumps and mechanical seals.